Monday, April 2, 2012

Family Faith SomewordthatstartswithFandmeansinterview

So last week we were talking about faith in class and our assignment was to talk to our family about what they thought of our faith and our faith as a family. So I sent out an email to my family hoping that most of them would answer on time. The four questions are as follows: What does "faith" mean to you? When have you felt God especially close to you as a family?  What do you do as a family to nurture your faith? What is your favorite Bible story and what does it say to you?

What does "faith" mean to you? The basic gist I got from my parents is that faith means trusting God and believing that He exists. And believing that He exists and trusting in Him brings comfort and peace through chaos and confusion.

When have you felt God especially close to you as a family? When I was 5 we adopted my little sister, Tori, from China. Adopting her was a long process that required a lot of faith and trust in God to provide the money because we didn't have any money to adopt. But God was faithful and provided everything we needed. After we had gotten Tori home from China, Mom had a hard time that first summer, and she had to get some help. So Dad had to keep the house together. Throughout that whole experience Mom and Dad felt God surrounding our family and holding us together.

What have you done as a family to nurture faith? Beyond the usual habits of going to church and AWANA and youth group, we also, when I was little, Dad would do a Bible lesson with us kids every night. We also just like to sit around and talk about things, current events, movies and entertainment, and other random topics to try and bring a Christ centered focus to our lives and thoughts. We also would go on mission trips, to conferences, and other events to build faith.

What is your favorite Bible story and what does it say to you? My Mom says the story of Joseph, the man engaged to Mary, and how he had a regular life looking him in the face until the Holy Spirit got Mary pregnant. But since he was visited by an angel and told to not be afraid to marry Mary. He believed what God said, and had the courage to follow through on what God assigned to him. My Dad said His favorite is the Easter story and just the humility of Christ descending from heavenly glory to die a brutal humiliating death.

And now I need to figure out what all this means for my faith.







And I think I'm gonna need some more time to process all this, so I'll get back to this hopefully sometime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment